photo Home_zps7faec99d.png photo About_zpsc67f3c6f.png photo before-30_zpsa0025260.png photo wedding_zps4bb161fe.png photo Furbabies_zpsf8e5acf5.png photo Contact_zps9b292209.png

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Blogmas Day 15: A Gangland Christmas in Greer, Arizona

I mentioned earlier this Blogmas how taking a Christmas trip with my family up north every year has become somewhat of a tradition. Last year we went up to Greer, Arizona and loved it so much we returned this year.

So Thursday Nate and I packed up as many jackets as we could and headed north. The drive there was normal and fine until we got to about Pine Top at which time, we slowed to about 35 miles per hour, observed one vehicle slid off the road and another vehicle crashed into a tree. Ice y'all. Ice and snow so very recent that snow plows were not out yet. 

When I looked outside the window to see the mountains and trees covered in snow while Dean Martin sang on my "Christmas Classics" playlist it was dreamlike. And then I would return my attention to the road ahead shining brightly with a sheen of ice and quickly be reminded that we are not in fact in a dream and should proceed with caution (lots!) . I think I annoyed Nate with my declarations of "Be careful. Just be careful ok? Should we slow down?"

We arrived safely (thank you, Officer Townsend) and posted up in the cabin we'd be occupying for the next three nights.

On Friday, we quickly discovered the cabin had corn hole boards and bags just sitting there, looking lonely, asking to be played with (heyooo). Our only choice was to oblige them. So we did a little rearranging of the furniture and voila - all the indoor space and vaulted ceilings we needed for a full 21 ft game of indoor, Christmasy corn hole.

Friday night after my sister and her husband arrived, we had dinner and played more corn hole, followed by a rousing game of Heads Up and a "Guess the Christmas Carol" emoji game where you have to guess the Christmas Carol based on a series of emojis provided. As expected, my mother won - she has a PhD in Christmas songs so I would expect nothing less of her. Some of them were difficult, I'll give the rest of us that much however, let me state for the record - I am thoroughly disappointed in my father who guessed "Oh Holy Night" for more than one answer and left many others blank. The cherry on top was the guess "Gangland Christmas."
GANGLAND CHRISTMAS. AS IF THAT HAS EVER BEEN THE NAME OF A CHRISTMAS SONG THAT YOU HAVE EVER HEARD OF IN YOUR LIFE? I just...I mean...it's just...like... DO BETTER, DAD. 

Runners up for funniest guesses of the night were Nate's "I Pray for Christmas,"
and, "Happy Christmas Dance."

Saturday we ventured out to find some snow! There wasn't quite enough to go tubing (hello rocks and bumpy hills) but enough to play in and satisfy this desert dwellers winter heart. 


If you scrolled through these pictures and in your best Drifters impression your brain started going "duh duh duh dum bum bum bum ba dum I'm dreaming of a whiiiiiiiite Christmas" it's not just you it happens to everyone. We frolicked and we played the Arizonan way - which is just a lot of flailing about and fool-heartedness because we never see snow and that is always so painfully obvious. 
But YOLO can't stop won't stop!

Saturday night we headed over to the Molly Butler Lodge for dinner. While eating we were debating driving over to Eager afterward to try and see some Christmas Lights at the X-Diamond Ranch. We eventually decided against it because 1.) it was SO COLD - perhaps too cold to be milling about outside, and 2.) It was getting late. This decision proved to be the right one because in the time it took to leave the restaurant and drive the couple miles back to our cabin it started SNOWING. Like, a lot. Exhibit A:
Exhibit B:
So instead, we pumped up the Christmas jams, baked some cinnamon rolls, and played corn hole while it snowed outside. When I tell you that I stood next to the window drinking hot chocolate and Bailey's in my Christmas jammies, while watching snow fall from the sky I need you to believe me. I know it sounds made up but it happened y'all. 
We were living in a damn snow globe for the night and it was the best night ever.

Every year these holiday weekend getaways are different from the last in the best possible way. I can't wait to see what 2021 holds!




photo Carissa_zps53ecb502.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by Strawberries and Wine